Every year my New Years resolution tends to be the same… “eat better, go to the gym, be a positive person…etc.” So while surfing the web to look for healthier recipes for my everyday comfort foods I discovered this Greek yogurt banana bread recipe from Lovely Little Kitchen and I was blown away.
I tend to have a bad habit of buying fresh bananas and then leaving them to the very last minute before the point of no return. However, nothing beats homemade banana bread especially like how my grandmother used to make. One recipe that keeps me drooling every time is Shannon’s Kitchen Sink Banana Bread. To me banana bread is all about experimenting and finding what combinations work and which ones don’t. Another addition which is always a favourite would be adding some semi-sweet chocolate morsels!
The addition of the Greek yogurt makes for a lighter fluffier version of the classic heavy banana bread I am used to. In Lovely Little Kitchen’s recipe she divides the batter into four small loaves but I just used a standard loaf pan and baked it for longer. The slivered almonds on top made for the perfect amount of crunch, as well in the batter I added a 1/3 cup of unsweetened coconut.
Happy banana bread making!
GREEK YOGURT BANANA BREAD
Author: Lovely Little Kitchen
Serves: 4 mini loaves or 1 large loaf
- ½ cup butter (1 stick) softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup banana pulp mashed (about 3 ripe bananas)
- 4 tablespoons Greek yogurt
- 1½ cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup nuts (I used slivered almonds on top for added crunch)
- 1/4 cup sweetened or unsweetened coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed, cream together butter and sugar. Add eggs one at a time and mix well. Add vanilla extract, banana pulp, and Greek yogurt, mixing well after each ingredient.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, baking soda and salt to combine.
- Gradually add flour to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined on low speed.
- Mix in nuts until well combined.
- Pour batter evenly into a well-greased loaf pan and sprinkle slivered almonds on top and bake for an hour and 10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.
**Tip** If you notice the edges browning faster don’t hesitate to wrap foil around the edges.